Sunday, May 8, 2011

chirp

A few months ago I was introduced to the Garmin caching site OpenCaching.com. At the time of it's launch, I signed up and I was only interested in reserving my trail name for that site. One of my geocaching buddies, decide to start loading his 150+ hides onto that site in hopes of offering his hides to a larger user base. The site still has a way to go to get the same number of users as Geocaching.com.

So a few weeks ago, I started to slowly uploading my hides and checked the box at the end of the form to enter into the OpenCaching.com "Chirp-a-Day" Sweepstakes. It was pretty neat to find out that I won. And now I have the privilege of creating a new cache (exclusive to opencaching.com) that will have that chirp.

For those of you that don't know what it is, I've include the description from the Garmin chirp website:

chirp is a one-of-a-kind wireless beacon designed specifically for the outdoor adventures of geocaching. Affordable, durable and waterproof, chirp can communicate with, and be programmed by, any compatible wireless-enabled Garmin handheld. chirp stores hints, multicache coordinates, counts visitors and confirms the cache is nearby. chirp is password protected and has a battery life of up to 1 year. 

I'll update this post at some point in the future when I have finally created and hidden the device. Look for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment